Pietroasa and other toponyms (etymology +)

andrei_stirbu andrei_stirbu at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 30 04:57:32 UTC 2006

> Location of Caucoensi in Moldavia fits
> 1- with maps reconstructed in the 19-th century
> (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/macedonia_1849.jpg)
> 2- as toponimics we find today: Kogalniceni, near Onesti
> 3- The Kogaion (Kogaionon) - the sacred mountain of the Gets/Dacians
> may be assumed as Ceahlau (near Onesti)

Kokalnic is also an important river in Wallachian Plain. It's an old
Romanian word designing a sort of hill or litle river (sorry for that
I'm not remembering) and is of Slav etimology.

The name of Ceahlau surely doesnt come from Kogaion or Cauca,
according to the rules of linguistic evolutions.

> but I read our old good Procopius and others who used to describe
> the Goths as typical North Europeans (tall men with blond hair and
> fair skin). I doubt much this phenotype knew no exceptions, but I
> doubt still more Procopius & Co told deliberate lies risking their
> repute as historians and distorting (what for?) the appearance of
> the Goths whom a lot of contemporary Romans had all chances to see
> with their own eyes.

Seeing photos of Cernyakhov burials, I think that the skeletons
belonged to blond hair individs, as long as dark hair individs I think
have a more fragile skeleton.
http://cimec.ro/Arheologie/cronicaCA2004/planse/147/index.html

> We perhaps agree that the Visigoths
> (and their "slow brothers" Gepides) entering Dacia and living there
> for about a century or more could not escape contacts with the
> native (post-?)Dacian population and its religious beliefs. So, when
> hearing the word Kogaion, which (a wild guess) could be related to
> Cauco-(c)ensii and < IE *kouko- > PG. *xauxa- > Go. hauh-s, couldn't
> they produce smth like *Hauhaio F. -on (formally after attested
> armaio), to give it some sense in their speech?

I think that Kogaion was not a real toponym in the late Antiquity,
ratherly a legendary reminescent which was met by Strabon in an elder
source. Even if it was a toponym at the moment of Roman conquest, it
surely was abandoned as a sacred place, either it was placed in the
newly Roman province or outside it.
Anyway, a sacred mountain would not be located in the Buzau mountains,
as long as these mountains are a great exception in Romanian
geomorphology, being constituted of sandstone and very aride.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogaion
http://olimpiada.info/oni2004/infobuzau/imgs/Mal%20de%20Buzau.jpg

Andrei