Name of the Goths

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 30 17:49:23 UTC 2006

Hails Dirk!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin at ...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> you have of course all heard the interpretation of the name of the
Goths (Gutane) derived from a word meaning 'to pour/flow' with the
sense of 'those who have been created by the outpouring of semen by
a god'.

Yes, from PGmc. *geutan, 'to pour'. But this says nothing about what
is pouring/being poured.

> I wonder if this is not a little bit far fetched.

The 'semen'-part could well be.

> Consider the German place name Göttingen (a big and old town in
Lower Saxony). It is first mentioned with the name Gutinge in AD 953
and was also called Gotinge in medieval sources. The interpretation
of the name is based on an Old Saxon word 'guta'
meaning 'stream/flow of water'. The modern Eastfalian (the dialect
of the Göttingen area) is is 'Gôtë' and these words are closely
related to modern German 'Gosse', which means again 'stream or flow
of water'.

Well, yes, there are many derivative words like this from *geutan in
the Germanic languages. A Norse parallel to the German gosse is the
term gos, which refers to an 'outpouring' of something, also used
about carbonated drinks like coca-cola, etc.. It seems like a fairly
generic Germanic root, found in various forms.

> Thus, the place name Gutinge (Göttingen) refers to ' the place of
the people at the stream of water'. In fact, some sources even refer
to a Saxon 'sub-tribe' as the Gudinge from the same area. The name of
the Goths has clearly the same linguistic roots and it may have had
the same development, only that usually the more sophisticated
interpretation of 'giessen', i.e. to pour or flow is employed to
arrive at  the meaning of 'the once who were created by the flow of
semen from a god'.

Naturally, 'giessen' is Modern German from PGmc. *geutan, meaning
the same thing, essentially.

> Again, I think this is a bit far fetched and the name may simply
refer to their settlements at the Vistula river/flow Guta.

Etymologically, it could.

> I know this is a little trivial, but since this purely descriptive
meaning has given rise to Gutinge and the Gudinge people, why should
it not also have given rise to the Gutane. Or is there any good
argument that the term Gutane must have to do with the flow of semen
instead of water?

No good arguments to this end, as far as I am aware of. The only
thing which seems certain here is that it is somehow related to the
PGmc. verb *geutan, which is not telling us very much about why the
Goths were so called. Possible explanation are many, all highly
theoretical, I think. The same is true of the Geats, *gautôs, who
seem to have derived their name from the same stem (*geut-, seen in
the verb *geutan). Incidentally, they live by a major river, called
Gautelfr, as well. But it is hard to say is these names really have
anything to do with living by pouring water. It seems, here, that
these name-givings are buried in the mists of time, giving us little
to stand on. Is it known why the Gutinge were so called? Venturing a
guess, I might suggest that these name-gifts from *geut- could have
something to do with the god *Wôdanaz, who bares personal names from
this same root (ON Gautr, Goti); however, this is only a suggestion
about a possible relation based on sharing a common root, a guess.
Obviously, these names are pre-historical, pre-dating any literacy
amongst Germanic folk, and no explanations have survived. I venture
another guess about a possible relation to the mythical founder of
Gutland (see Guta Saga), who had 3 sons, the first of whom was named
Guti (Go. *Guta). The name is a masc. n-stem, weak, and is the same
as the Gothic word for 'Goth', *guta pl. *gutans. Thus, according to
this guess, *gutans would be descendants of *Guta, mythical ancestor
of all Goths. By extension, Gutland (Go. *Gutlanda) would be called
after the Goths as whole, being a root-formation, rather than after
a mythical ancestor *Guta, as otherwise we would expect **Gutaland,
Go. **Gutinsland, which do not occur. Again, this is only a guess,
not a real explanation.

Regards,
kunjareths