Name of the Goths

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 31 09:05:41 UTC 2006

Hailai!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "akoddsson" <konrad_oddsson at ...>
wrote:

> > Hails Dirk!
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > you have of course all heard the interpretation of the name of
the
> > > Goths (Gutane) derived from a word meaning 'to pour/flow' with
the
> > > sense of 'those who have been created by the outpouring of
semen by
> > > a god'.

One could probably think of an alliterative verse smth like this
(Gothic):

Frauja fairhvaus fraiwa us-gaut... etc etc in the sense "that's why
he (the Lord) is called Gauts and we, his offspring, are called
Gutans (unte us-gutans warth sa fruma Guta us *h-im Gautis)...

But, seriously, are we quite sure that we're dealing with the same
word here (PG *geutanan "to pour") and not some lost homonym with a
totally different meaning. We've got a handful of East-Germanic
ethnonyms which seem obscure for all we know of the Germanic
vocabulary, e.g. Gepides (a famous case), Rugi, Bastarni etc.
Couldn't original Gotones be of this kind? Later, by the Goths
themselves or by modern scholars, associated with "pouring"?

> > > Consider the German place name Göttingen (a big and old town in
> > > Lower Saxony). It is first mentioned with the name Gutinge in
AD
953
> > > and was also called Gotinge in medieval sources. The
interpretation
> > > of the name is based on an Old Saxon word 'guta'
> > > meaning 'stream/flow of water'. The modern Eastfalian (the
dialect
> > > of the Göttingen area) is is 'Gôtë' and these words are closely
> > > related to modern German 'Gosse', which means again 'stream or
flow
> > > of water'.

Sure, it's not from *Gutiggos "Goths' heirs", referring to those
under leadership of kings descended from the dynastical marriage of
Airminafrithus Thaurigge thiudans and Amalabairga Thiudareikis
nithjo thiudanis (Get. 298)?

> > > Thus, the place name Gutinge (Göttingen) refers to ' the place
of
> > > the people at the stream of water'. In fact, some sources even
refer
> > > to a Saxon 'sub-tribe' as the Gudinge from the same area. The
name
of
> > > the Goths has clearly the same linguistic roots and it may
have had
> > > the same development, only that usually the more sophisticated
> > > interpretation of 'giessen', i.e. to pour or flow is employed
> > > arrive at  the meaning of 'the once who were created by the
flow of
> > > semen from a god'.

The Saxon form seems not to fit in phonetically, doesn't it?
Certainly you know of Lithuanian gudai pl. (gudas sg.) which is now
referring to neighbor Slavic peoples (Poles, Russians, White-
Russians). Further there's Yatvingian guti pl. "crusaders" (those of
Deutscher Orden). I read an article in "Linguistic and Oriental
Studies from Poznan", vol. 1, 1992, pp. 99-133 - Zigmas
Zinkievicius. A Polish-Yatvingian Vocabulary? - where it is stated
(p. 111) that <<K. Buga, E. Hermann, E. Fraenkel and other linguists
identify the said word [Lith. gudai - vlrvns] with the name of Goths
with which, according to the linguists, the Balts got acquainted
when Goths themselves pronounced their name as *ghudas (*ghudos)>>.
I do not know what exactly is meant here: a form preceding the
consonant shift, or the original form before the name was
interpreted in the direction of "pouring". In which latter case it
could be the said Saxon Gudinge that survived unchanged.

Ualarauans