Name of the Goths

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Mon Jul 31 18:30:43 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> Could you demonstrate a big flowing stream that explains the island
> name of Gutland/Gotland or Eastern Gautland?

Hi Ingemar,

there is also no 'big flowing stream' at Gutinge (Göttingen) or villa
Gotaha (Gotha). Apparently, all that is neede is 'a flowing water'.
In fact, the modern German word Gosse refers to a small stream of
water, but I think that Old Saxon Guta and Eastfalian Göte refers
only to flowing water.

My question to you is what evidence is there that the root of the
name Goths, i.e. *geutan has to refer to the flowing of semen, rather
than the flowing of water?

Cheers,

Dirk