Emigration av (some) Goths

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Mar 12 03:43:36 UTC 2006

the other speakers seem to be on track, pretty much......tho faura rodaizaim atsaila fagra god laistjana......oscar

macmaster at riseup.net wrote:
Actually, Galician (or Gallego as it is called) is a Romance language
closely related to Portuguese (it's sometimes considered a dialect of
Portuguese) and is spoken in the northwest corner of Spain, immediately
'above' Portugal.

It's actually a good example of my point of how names move around.
There's also a Galicia divided between Poland and the Ukraine and formerly
a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire that happens to have the same name
(it's a latinization of the name "Halych" and has nothing to do with
Celts. The region around Ankara in Turkey used to be called Galatia (iit
appears in the New Testament as such) due to Celtic settlers.

Northern Italy was Cisalpine Gaul in Roman times and France was Gaul, of
course. All but the Polish region do show a relation with the ancient
Celts but not so much with modern speakers of Gaelic (except that all come
from the same source).

As has been pointed out, there are several place names/peoples in what are
now Sweden and Denmark that look a lot like "Goths" - Geats, Gotlanders,
Jutes and so on. Are they all the same people? maybe but maybe not.

There are also "Danes" scattered all over the Indo-European diaspora, from
the Hebrew Tribe of Dan that seems to have been one of the "sea-peoples"
initially through the Greek Danaans of Homer and the Irish Tuatha de
Danann to the Don Cossacks and so. Are they all one people? Of course
not ...

While it's nice to imagine ourselves as descended from magnificent ancient
peoples, sticking to the actual stuff of history is more convincing and
sometimes more exciting. With the Goths, let's try to stick to what is
actually known from the written sources and from archaeology. To me,
that's fascinating enough.

Tom macMaster