Haiku & Toponymics

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Fri Mar 31 08:12:39 UTC 2006

On 30.03.2006, at 10:00, Fredrik wrote:

> Feminine Gothic *thiwairno
> F. -on "thrall's daughter" can be guessed from OHG diorna etc. (s.
> Koebler) > NHG Dirne "whore". I think both *thiwiliggs and *thiwairna
> could have mostly pejorative meaning in actual Gothic (cf. the German
> semantics).

Note, however, that the negative connotation is absent from the
oldest Germanic dialects (unless you take 'servant girl' as
pejorative in itself). The German semantics you adduce aren't old.
OHG _diorna_ means 'girl, virgin, maid'. The word is even used for
the Blessed Virgin Mary. The meaning 'servant girl' is only attested
in MHG. Finally, the meaning 'whore' only develops in the 16th
century. And even so, it's not exclusive as German dialects (NLG
_deern_, Bavarian _dirndl_) preserve the meaning 'girl' with no
pejorative connotation whatsoever.
Icelandic _therna_, Danisch _tärna_ 'maid, girl-servant' are often
thought to be loans from MLG.
Indeed, some have thought PG *_thegwerna_ to derive from a PIE root
*_tek'-_ 'to fashion; give birth' (cf. Gr. _teknon_ 'child') as OE
_thegn_,OIc. _thegn_, MHG _degen_ 'servant; pupil; noble; hero; man.
While I'll admit that lumping _thegwerna_ into this group isn't a
stellar etymology (one would have to assume for the -w- to have been
carried over from *_weduwernôn_) it's a possibility. What's
important, is that there is nothing in Old Germanic that points into
the direction of 'whore'.

Best,
David

Note that I consistently use M for 'middle' never for 'modern'.
Recent languages are marked N = 'new' so as to avoid confusion.