Some questions for you who might know

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat May 13 12:46:02 UTC 2006

Hails, Wal(h?)ahrabn!

Thanks for pointing out 'aizasmiþa'.  I'd forgotten that!  I'm sure
d'Alquen and Marchand must mention 'kaisar' and 'kreks' somewhere;
I'll have to look that up.  From the different forms it looks as
if 'kaisar' was an earlier loan.  Presumably a diphthong in Pre-
Gothic at least, if ON keisari, OE cásere are anything to go by.  It
might be impossible to tell with loans from Greek, since an older
Greek/Gothic diphthong would be spelt the same as the later Greek
monophthong in Gothic.

At L 14:31 there may be a word for "war" which translates Gk.
POLEMON.  Wright takes it to be a noun 'wigana', the dative of
either 'wigan' or 'wigans'.  But Streitberg prints 'wigan ina',
supposing that 'wigan' is a verb and that an 'i' has been left out
accidentally by the scribe.  The Codex Argenteus has 'wiga' + the
nasal abbreviation mark for 'n', followed by 'na' on the next line [
http://www.ub.uu.se/arv/codex/faksimiledition/jpg_files/235lc14f.html
 ].  See end of line 6.  Probably simplest to see the Gothic word as
a noun, 'wigan' (neuter suffix as 'aljan'?), related to the
verb 'weihan' by ablaut and Verner's Law.

> The form would be Alfs F. –i (Gen. Albais)

I like your river name suggestions.  Just one point, the final
devoicing rule (Auslautsverhärtung) doesn't apply when 'b', 'g', 'd'
follow another consonant, so my guess for the nominative singular
would be *Albs.

> but through Greek to which it owes initial Rh-, or maybe it's a
later orthographic influence (like in English and German).

According to Priebsch & Collinson (The German Language) the 'h' in
Rhein is just a modern affectation of recent centuries, like the 'h'
in 'Thames'.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Guenther Ramm <ualarauans at ...>
wrote:

> Hails, Frithureik!
>   Don't you forget aiza-smitha which translates Greek CALKEUS with
a certain reference to a metal?
>   About "period". I don't know whether Koebler had sufficient
reasons to postulate *era and *stunda as possible existent Gothic
words. The first could easily be a misspelling (and a typical one
for Middle Latin) in the Latin-written Lex and Chronica Regum
Visigothorum (I must confess I did not see these primary sources) of
the ordinary Latin aera and so have nothing to do with Gothic. If
borrowed maybe it would rather look like *aira (cf. kaisar < Caesar,
but at the same time there is Kreks < Graecus)? Btw, is there any
rule of reflecting Latin –ae- / Greek –ai- in Gothic depending on
chronology and the way (oral or scribal) of borrowing? I wonder if
it could be connected with that discussion on the phonetic value of
Gothic digraphs we had here lately.
>   The second (*stunda) is based on Provencal estona, but are we
quite sure that all earlier Germanic loans in Provencal and Ibero-
Romance are unexceptionally to be ascribed to Visigoths? Could not
some of them come e.g. via Old French ultimately from Frankish or
Old Low German?
>   If I were asked about a word for "period", so of the attested
words I would prefer hveila and, if constructed, something like
*hveilalaggei "a definite length of time" – we have these stems used
together in a sort of a stable combination Mk. 2:19 swa lagga hveila
swe mith sis haband bruthfad, ni magun fastan – in a sense "in the
period of the presence of the bridegroom
", Rom. 7:1 s<wa> lagga
hveila swe libaith – "in the period of his life on earth".
>   Another word-monster of mine is *hveiladrauhsna, but that must
be a very short period:)
>   To say "in the period of the cold war" could be something like:
swa lagga hveila swe waihun inuh wepna, lit. "as long as they (who? –
 *Airminareiki and *Raudareiki?) fought each other without (using
their) weapons" (pity we have no dual in the 3rd person). Or, with a
more modern syntax, "[at] hveilalaggein waihjons thizos kaldons".
>   Here I'd like to ask what would be a Gothic word to precisely
denote "war". I mean "war" (bellum, polemos), and not a fight
(waihjo) or military service (drauhtinassus). Maybe it could be
*unfrithus (after ON ófriðr) or even ungawairthi (with implicit hue
of something un-worthy). How they called a period (hvaiwa tho
hveilalaggein haihaitun) when their current peace treaty with the
Roman Empire expired or was broken and there was again time to cross
the Danube, to rob and rape? And how we would call now, for example,
the WWII? Anthar Unfrithus this Airmingrundaus (just to keep the
vowel alliteration, for *airmingrundus cf. OE eormengrund et sim.)?
And, is Alabrunsts really an appropriate word for the Holocaust?
>   The problem with the Rhine, I think, is its gender: masculine in
German and neutral in ON. Latin Rhenus comes perhaps not directly
from Gaulish, but through Greek to which it owes initial Rh-, or
maybe it's a later orthographic influence (like in English and
German). The fact is that the Celtic and the Germanic forms are two
independent developments of the same PIE river name *reinos (Celtic
regularly has long [e:] for PIE diphthong [ei]): *Renos and *Reinaz,
later *Riinaz respectively. The proto-meaning could be something
like "flowing (water)" (the same root PIE rei- "to flow" in Lat.
riuus > NE river, the difference is only in suffixes: *reinos -
*reiwos).
>   Still, *Rein or *Reins? I would vote for the latter (masculine).
>   Of other rivers in Europe we can with some grade of certainty
reconstruct *Donawi F. -jo (Gen. Donaujos) for the Danube proceeding
from OHG Tuoniouui and Common Slav borrowing Dunavъ. Btw it
also seems an originally Celtic word, and in this case Germanic
forms seem to be borrowed from Celtic *Danuvios, where long [a:] of
the first syllable goes regularly to long Germanic [o:], and the
suffix –uvio- is adopted as a typical Germanic river name *agwjo.
>   As you know, the Rhine and the Danube were two principal rivers
that divided Pax Romana and Barbaricum. Notice that the Rhine is
(most probably) male and the Danube female – could there be some
mythological background of this gender distribution? A myth of
brother and sister running away from parents home (their sources are
comparatively close to each other) and from each other after having
committed incest (an Indo-European mythological pattern)? Well,
that's all my fancy, but we have here experts on mythology, maybe
they know some about it?
>   Another German river is the Elbe, which is Albis in Latin <
Celtic and *Albiz in PG, literally "the white (river)". In ON we
have quite a common noun elfr "river" and a lot of hydronyms in
Sweden ending on –aelven. In fact, that's a perfect "river-word" for
reconstructed Gothic. The form would be Alfs F. –i (Gen. Albais) and
in compounds like *Austradalalfs for Swedish Oesterdalaelven (-en is
a reflex of the post-positive article?).
>   Jordanes has uiscla alongside with Vistula and it is supposed to
be corrupted Gothic. Is it *Weisla, or *Weihsla (to the stem weih-
 "holy" or weihs "village")?
>   "Dan ok Danpr" of the Edda (Rígsþula 48) allow us to speculate
what Gothic names of Don and Dnepr were. *Danus jah *Danaprus? Both
have the same IE root as the Danube.
>   The river flowing through Prague (Czech Republic) had a German
name Moldau (Chech Vltava). Could it be *Muldawi (the same word
which you proposed for Moldova, this latter was also called Moldau
in German). Or maybe *Wulthawi "a glorious river" (see Vltava)?
>   To continue I must get a map of Europe at hand.
>   Still thinking on "China"

>   Ualarauans
>

> Fredrik <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:  So what you're saying is that the
only attested meaning is 'money'.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM