newcommer

Guenther Ramm ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 14 02:56:09 UTC 2006

dciurchea <dciurchea at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am not in agreement nor with Romanian historians, nor with

Hungarian  historians since I consider Jordannes work as a forgery.

Thus the fonems in Getica are pretty Romanian (Thracic) not german.

  Dear Ciurchea, I wonder is there any strong reason to so unconditionally associate Old Thracian and today’s Romanian which is all Romance and no way other? It is Albanian (Shqiptar), I guess, which may nowadays claim (linguistically) an Illyro-Thracian origin. Were Dacians Thracian? Anyway, to say Romanians are pure descendants of them would mean to ignore the Roman, Greek, Slavic, Magyar etc. inputs. Even East-Germanic tribes paid their contribution, as is seen from a number of Gothic loanwords in today’s Romanian (I mean Gothic in broader sense – they can be Gepidic as well). The Gut-thiuda of the Calendar was most likely situated north of the Danube (ripa Gothica of contemporary historiographs) in what is now Muntenia. The word that the Goths seemingly used to refer to the natives of the land was *Walhos M. –a Pl., which is common Germanic name of Celtic and Romance peoples (up to NE Wales and NHG welsch) and indicates pretty well that this post-Dacian population had
 been already Romanized after less than 200 years of the Imperial Rule. Being borrowed by succeeding Slavs as vlakhu (see also BLACOI in medieval Byzantine sources) it produced Walachia which was changed to Romania as a name of the land only in the 19th century, perhaps to emphasize the Roman heritage after gaining the independence. If I error please correct me.

> The Gepid fonem in Jordannes(Ce piz... or Ce pid.. in Romanian ) is

actuall an insult, "what the heck" in Romanian, addressed by the two

brothers to the third, more slow.

  Again, is this phrase Romanian or reconstructed Thracian? (and what do we know then about Old-Thracian?) If it is Modern Romanian, how about the fact that Jordanes wrote in the 6th century when the East-Romance dialects were probably not more than a sort of vernacular not much different from the Vulgar Latin spoken throughout the Empire? I can easily mistake here since I’m not an expert in Romanics and at any rate I hope there’s nothing offensive in what I’ve said. And how would you explain then the evidence of OE which has Gifdas?
  This etymologizing cannot help reminding of Isidor and his deriving Gepids as “Gipedes” from Lat. pes, pedis with the meaning “those preferring to walk on foot” (and therefore always slow?) or something like that. It shows well that the name of Gepids was and still is an enigma.
  The real crux about this name, I guess, is this –p- which is unanimously fixed by Roman and Greek writers while the OE form presumes Gothic –b-. Be it *Gibidos or *Gabideis – why > Gepides et sim.? And the form Gepedoios in Getica – doesn’t it speak in favor of Gothic –p-?

> This is important as I see the

gothic mythology derived from the Getic customs, i.e. the mythology

of my ancestors, now lost.

That’s interesting. Is there any evidence for it? And how much is known of what the Goths REALLY believed in, besides the ethnogenetic myth around *Gauts (I’m sorry still failing to get to Ingemar Nordgren’s book dealing with the subject). Of cause we can reconstruct names like *Wodans, *Thunr(u)s, *Friddi and the like, but were they familiar to Goths? Their wanderings and intercourse with many non-Germanic tribes and cultures must have left a definite stamp on their beliefs. I read somewhere that those of them who had wandered deep into Hellas started to adore its old pagan altars rather than become Christian, it being their way to get naturalized in the new homeland. Does anybody know something about it?

Hlutramma hairtin

Walahrabns

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM