Aiwropais Ahvos

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Mon May 15 05:39:31 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com [mailto:gothic-l at yahoogroups.com]On
Behalf Of ualarauans
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 11:31 AM
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [gothic-l] Aiwropais Ahvos

In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:
> the final
devoicing rule (Auslautsverhдrtung) doesn't apply when 'b', 'g', 'd'
follow another consonant, so my guess for the nominative singular
would be *Albs.

Yes, of cause. Thanks. Hence a question - how you pronounce this:
[alvs], [albs] or maybe even [alps]? Intervocalic -b- I like most to
have as [v], but what I like or dislike that's no argument. We have
Naubaimbair for November and a lot of Latin renderings like Liuva,
Erelieva etc., but what about -b- in the position you described,
i.e. after a consonant? And what is Silbanus for SILOUANOS - leaning
on Gothic silba? But this happened to be written by Romans as
Silva... Does the rule work only when -b- stands between two
consonants? And what is then the pronunciation? I guess it could be
again a question of chronology.
Talking about rivers I think we should not at once translate or
transliterate their present name, but to look first if there's any
possible evidence of how the river was called at the time the actual
Goths could reach, or hear of, it.
For example, French Seine was Lat.-Celt. Sequana. Was it still so in
the 5th century when Alareiks sa Fruma and his Visigoths came first
to the West? Or maybe it was already some compromise late-Latin /
early-Romance form (*Seghwana?) which could be adopted by them
undergoing some folk-etymological changes? Or perhaps there had been
a West-Germanic name of the river which the Goths received from
their Frankish and Alemannic cousins and rivals? I'm tempted to call
it *Saihvana F. -o (with a consonant shift), but firstly, if my
Latin dictionary doesn't lie, the -e- in Sequana was a long one;
secondly, the time of the shift was long over; and, thirdly, wasu so
ahva bi sunjai SAIHVANA? (was this river really SEEN by them?). So,
*Seqana, *Se(g)wana or something like?
Here's another question. As you know continental Gaulish was mostly
a p-Celtic language (i.e. every PIE kw- turned to p- unlike q-
Celtic). The PIE stem *sekw- "to follow", represented by Lat. sequor
and Goth. saihvan (lit. "to follow with the eyes"), as it is
commonly held, was additionally borrowed by Goths from some p-Celtic
dialect as siponeis "a disciple" < "a follower". Is Sequana of the
same family? And why not *Sepana? I see it's Gothic not "Celtic"
list, but if this name belongs to the same stem, it could perhaps be
possible to postulate some parallel, not borrowed, form in Germanic
and, thus, Gothic.
Let's travel over to another side of Europe and consider Volga. It
seems to me very probable that the Goths, this time the Ostrogoths,
had all chances to see it or at least to know about it at the time
of Ermanaricus' Greater Gothic Reich (((smile))). Maybe the trace of
it is ON Dylgja (Hlöðskviða 26, 28) < Goth. *Dulgjo F. -on, which
could be a phonetically correct borrowing of a supposed Old Slavic
alternative name *Dlgaja (l is vocalic), lit. "the long (river)".
The actual Russian Volga is sometimes supposed to be borrowed from
Baltic *Ilga with the same meaning ("long"). Well, that seems rather
complicated... As a variant we could use a partly etymologized
loanword from Russian like *Wulgi F. -jo (cf. ON ylgr "she-wolf").
Ualarauans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM