Aiwropais Ahvos

?????? ???????? vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Mon May 15 12:42:59 UTC 2006

Fredrik,

The Bulgars emerged from the West Turkic kaganate and created circa 6th c. AD a realm on the North Caucasus, actually near downer Volga, conquered later by Khasars. Pushed in the 7th c. out from the Khasar kaganate, the divided and migrated in two direction: northward to the Middle Volga (conditionally the modern Tatars) and westward to Danube (conditionally the modern Bulgarians). The latter division moved, under leadership of khan Asparukh, partially along the way passed by the Goths, but they could not come up with the Goths because were late for a couple of centuries.

Vladimir

-----Original Message-----
From: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com [mailto:gothic-l at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Fredrik
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 2:49 PM
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Aiwropais Ahvos

Does the name bulgar has anything to do with the river name Volga?
If I remember right the bulgars came from volga.
If this is so, when did the bulgars occur in history? At the time of
the goths, and did the bulgars and goths ever seen eachother?
What would Bulgaria be in gothic?
(One etymology of bulgar is turkic bulgha = sable.)

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Guenther Ramm <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> Hails, Vladimir!
>   Thanks a lot for your correction! I feel defeated at the "Long
River" :)
>   The form Itil as far as I know is Turkic (?) and therefore also
too late to get into Gothic. What was the population of the Lower
Volga basin in the 3rd - 4th centuries? Some place Alans east of
Ostrogoths up to the time of the Hunnish invasion - could not they
intermediate between whatever name of Volga and
Ermanaricus' "sagacious mapmakers"? You know there's the people of
the Ossets in North Caucasus which are direct linguistic descendants
of East Alans and which are said to still keep in their epics
reminiscences of their fights with a people "GUT". Does anybody know
how they call Volga? The names of Don, Dnepr and Dnestr (and maybe
Danube) at least, seem to come from North-Iranian, i.e. Scytho-
Sarmatian and Alanic speech, and, note, today's Ossetic _don_ means
just "river" or "water". This river row could be Gothic *Danus,
*Danaprus, *Danastrus (in fact there's no sure evidence of u-stems
for any of them, Jordanes has Danaper, Danaster and similarly other
writers of
>  the time, IE proto-form *danu- could not be of any effect here,
unless we presume there were "sagacious Gothic linguists" at work as
well :)
>   Still, I'd like *Dulgjo to be used for any of the East-European
rivers and surely there's a lot of scholarly literature on the Eddic
Dylgja and the precise localization of that legendary battle between
Angantyr and Hloedhr. I thought they fought (I mean the proto-event
of the saga) somewhere between Don and Volga, on the Eastern frontier
of the Ostrogothic sphere, and the Goths had actually to lose that
battle (ca. 375 AD). This Volga-Don "Mesopotamia" could be called
there Dunheidhr, Gothic *Dunahaithi...
>   I know a Finnish word valkea "white". Is Russian vlaga not rather
to be connected with NHG Wolke "cloud", Lett. velgme "moisture" etc.?
The Finnish form of Volkhov seems to look like Olhava, and that could
be Gothicized into *Alhawi "a river of a sacred place" (?), of cause,
without claiming to be a possible historic name (that was too far
even for Ermanaricus :)
>   Ualarauans
>
> åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at ...> wrote:
>   Hi Ualarauans!
>
> With the "long river" Volga there are two aberrations,
> both spatial and temporal. The name Volga related initially
> only to the upper part of the river and was etymologically
> close to the name of another river of that region Volhov.
> However, the etymology is not defined exactly. The most
> probable supposition is a Finnish word with meaning moisture,
> which was also borrowed by Russian as _vlaga_. Extension of
> the name Volga to the downer river named earlier Itil took
> place somewhere in the 16-17 centuries. Hermanaricus and his
> subjects had to be very sagacious to foreknow this for
> thousand years ahead. Anyhow, the origin of the name Volga
> is not Slavic.
>
> Btw. I seem _Albs_ should be pronounced [alfs] with declension
> changes to [alvis] etc.
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir

sequor
> and Goth. saihvan (lit. "to follow with the eyes"), as it is
> commonly held, was additionally borrowed by Goths from some p-
Celtic

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM