Aiwropais Ahvos

Manie Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Tue May 16 20:16:08 UTC 2006

Hails Daweid

In Turkish you get the aorist participle "-r" (after vowels), which is quite
productive (the same form is used for the 3rd person sg aorist):

"güler yüzlü": merry, cherrful, affable
"akar su": running water
"gelir": income; revenue; rent
"gider": expenditure, expense

The singular would of course be bulγar.

Greetings

Manie

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kiltz" <derdron at gmx.net>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:24 AM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Re: Aiwropais Ahvos

On 15.05.2006, at 20:58, Manie Lombard wrote:

> Hails!
>
> As far as I know, Bulgar is derived from Bulγar ”(of) mixed
> (descent)” <
> bulγamaq ”mix”. Compare Chagatay
> ”بولغامق” (bulγamaq) ”make cloudy, dull,
> make turbid”, or Turkish ”bulamak” (بوله‌مق) ”mix,
> stir; besmear, bedaub”.

Hi Manie,

the first message got through fine (for me). Please allow me two
ensuing, somewhat off-topic questions: The formation in -r, is it
singular (pl. bulγarlar) and does it correspond to modern Turkish -r
'aorists' ?

Best regards,

David

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM