Aiwropais Ahvos Thiudozuh

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Mon May 22 19:26:16 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Guenther Ramm <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

>   - A Germanic substrate in Southeast Baltic preceding Finns? That's
interesting, but is there some more evidence besides Tacitus?
According to Tacitus, the Earth is a flat disc, maybe :) The
Ingermanland (Inkeri) language still lives, though close to
extinction, in several villages near St.-Petersburg. It is well
described in the literature and is no more Germanic than Finnish or
Estonian. It belongs to the same Baltic Finnish group I said of above.

Hi Ualarus and Vladimir,

There is an earlier Germanic people according to the earlier
researchers supposed to have settled the area before the Goths. This
is of course before the present tendency to see a pure native
developement between the different cultures in present Wielbark - a
tendency which I partly oppose since it excludes any outside
interference. This people is supposed to be the Bastarni and also in a
discussed relation to them the Sciri.

Best
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM