More Toponymics

Guenther Ramm ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 23 20:13:02 UTC 2006

Hailai!

Fredrik <gadrauhts at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know exactly what an adjective would be, maybe
pairuisks/pairulandisks, and not what we could call a person of Peru.

  - I think it could be *pairuwisks (with a euphonic -w- like in attested iudaiwisks and MnE “Peruvian”). But then, couldn’t it happen that this -uw- would turn –ggw- after the Holtzmann’s (?) Law (like skuggwa < *skuwa)? A Peruvian could perhaps be *Pairuwja M. –n, *Pairuwjans Pl. (looks close to English). Or maybe *Pairuggwja? Was that Law still in force in the Wulfilan epoch? If it was, then the latter form would look more preferable.

  > Some ideas of F.Y.R.O.M:

> Former: faurthis
> Yugoslav: sunthrawinithisks/jugauslabisks/sunthraslabisks
> Republic: thiudawaihts
> Macedonia: Makidonja

  - Sunth(r)a-winithisks seems to refer more to the South Slavs as a whole (in this respect today’s Macedonia is still *sunth(r)awinithiska as well as Bulgaria, Croatia etc.). That involves also the question to what extent Gothic *Winithos could be a proper equivalent for “Slavs”. I’m sure Vladimir has some special opinion on this. You know German _Wenden_ names mostly a group of West Slavs, and ON Vinðland if I remember right designated the territory of today’s West Poland and East Germany. But Jordanes (Get. 119) mentions Venethi as adversaries of Ermanaricus in what is now the Ukraine (?). At any rate we should perhaps invent first a name for Yugoslavia. Maybe smth like *Sunthaslawja (actually a partly translation)?
  - To translate “republic” is an interesting task. I’d think of *frijareiki (you know Freistaat). Lat. res publica could be more or less *gamaininuts or *alamanamathli, but this latter acquires some “German” shade you see. How about *thiggareiki for “parliamentary republic”? But what exactly is meant here by “former republic”? I guess it means not as much the government form as the fact that this republic has been a part of a greater state. So, maybe *lithureiki (“Gliedreich”, klingt schrecklich!). Or *lithugawi?
  So how we have it as a whole - Sunthaslawjos Airizo Lithureiki Makidonja (Thata SALMo)? Still more terrible (try to imagine a native Gothic speaker hearing that!)

  llama_nom 600cell at oe.eclipse.co.uk wrote:

  > Calling the modern nation of
Peru after the Inca empire would also leave us with the question of
what to call the historical Inca empire, known by the indigenous
name of Tiwantinsuyu.  So maybe it would be clearer to invent Go.
*Igkareiki "the Inca Empire"; Go. Paíru, nu "Peru"

  - Yes, to use Inca for Peru is archaic, but I thought to speak Gothic now is to be a little bit archaic as well. This “chronologic stratification” of *Igkareiki and *Pairu seems the best solution, after all, for the modern use.

  > or Go. Paírû,
na "Peru".  In favour of the latter possibility, a neuter a-stem,
compare the name Iesus < Gk. IHSOUS.  Braune suggested that this may
have had a long [u:], causing it to be declined as an a-stem by
default, rather than a u-stem.

- I thought that peculiar way to decline “Iesus” is due to some special sacral attitude to the name (like in MnG they say “Jesu”). But if it’s purely phonetic, then maybe this a-stem form would really better answer Spanish Peru (with the second syllable stressed). This -u- being apparently a part of the base wouldn’t get lost in oblique cases, compare Nom., Acc. Pairu; Gen. Pairaus; Dat. Pairau (if a u-stem) and Nom., Acc. Pairu; Gen. Pairuis; Dat. Pairua with a stress on this -u-, yes?

  > Re. "Aiwropais Ahvos Thiudozuh" > "Aiwropos Ahvos jah Thiudos"
(Rivers and peoples of Europe (nom.sg. Aiwropa?)): when functioning
as an enclitic conjunction "and", -uh only conjoins sentences, not
nouns or adjectives within a sentence.

  - I took Greek EURWPH as a possible source of Gothic *Aiwrope, with its Genitive being like that of Swriais (in Luc. 2:2). It could be the borrowed aipistaule which would help here, but you know it is not attested in Genitive and besides behaves quite irregularly in other cases (Braune/Helm 1952: 69).
  Thanks for the correction of –uh usage. I thought it were a more exact equivalent of Lat. -que, which could be used here (?) like Europae Amnes Gentesque.

  Ualarauans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM