Words of Gothic origin of common use in Spanish

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Nov 17 10:51:52 UTC 2006

Hails, Rydwlf. Not speaking Spanish, the list still interests me.
> Sp. albergar, "house, shelter, harbour, lodge, nurse".
> According to the DRAE, "possibly coming from Go. *haribaírgôn, "to
> give shelter to a troop". I suppose the DRAE reconstruction comes
> from Go. harjis, "army, host" and "baírgan", "hide, keep, preserve,
> protect". Also in common use is the noun albergue, "house, shelter,
> hostal".
Unless other words show the same harjis -> al- transformation, I'd
look for some other origin. The latter element could come from Gothic
baurgs, West Germanic burg (A-S burh, burg, in different regions) or
late Latin burgus, all from Greek pyrgos, iirc.
> Sp. banda, "strip, stripe, band" and also "gang, group of people".
> For the "stripe" meaning, the DRAE says "from the Old French bande,
> bende, and this from the Frank binda, meaning "strip, band"". For
> the "group" meaning, the DRAE suggests "possibly from Go.
> bandwō, sign, flag".
> Sp. bandera, "flag" is derived from banda as "group of people"
> according to the DRAE.
> Anyway, maybe Go. bandi ("bond"), bandwa, bandwo ("sign, token")
> may have had some influence in this semantic field.
>
> Sp. bandido, "bandit" and bandir, "ban", have according to the DRAE
> the same origin:
> "From It. bandire, "ban", and this from Frank *bannjan, banish,
> influenced by Go. *bandwjan, "make a sign").
Gothic bandi is a plausible source and its derivatives might have
replaced Gothic sarwa and hansa.
> Sp. escarnecer "mock, laugh at". According to the DRAE, "From
> escarnir, and this possibly from Go. *skaírnjan; cf. OHG skërnôn,
> mock".
>
> Sp. espía "spy". DRAE: "From Go. *spaíha".
>
> Sp. espuela "spur". DRAE: "From OSp. espuera, and this from Go.
> *spaúra; cf. ON. spori, OHG sporo).
I thought spurs, like stirrups, were later developments.
> Sp. galardón "reward, prize". DRAE: "From gualardón, and this from
> Gc. *wĭthralaun, reward; cf. ODu. witherlôn".
> Here the dictionary terms as "Germanic" what seems like a compound
> of Gothic origin (Go. láun "pay, reward" is maybe related here, and
> maybe withra (prep.) + láun?).
>
> Sp. ganar "win". DRAE: "Possibly from Go. *ganan, covet, lust,
> influenced by the Gc. *waidanjan, reap, harvest; cf. ON. gana,
> avidly wish, Norse gana, stare with anxiety).
> In Wright I see wái-dedja, "woe-doer, malefactor, thief", and I
> can't help thinking that
> "thief", "to thieve" is related in meaning to "to lust, wish".
> Related to ganar are ganancia "gain" and gana "desire, appetite".
>
> Sp. guardar "keep, guard, watch over,save". DRAE: "(From Gc. *warda,
> the act of search with the eyes, and this from *wardôn, pay
> attention; cf. OHG warta".
> From the same root come aguardar "wait for" and the noun guarda
> "guard" and guardia, also "guard". I find difficult not to relate
> Sp. guardia to Go. wardja, which pronunciation should be very
> similar (note the "i" sound in guardia).
>
> Sp. rapar "shave, crop hair" and also "take away suddenly something
> from someone". DRAE: "From Go. *hrapôn, to pull out the hair; cf.
> MHG raffen, Du. rapen, Eng. rap).
English rap means 'to knock' and more recently 'reputation' and 'to
talk.' The first meaning of rapar may come from the Gothic but the
second meaning probably comes from the Latin (to plunder).
> Sp. rico "rich", riqueza "wealth, riches". DRAE: "From Go. reiks".
>
> Sp. tregua "truce". DRAE: "From Go. trĭggwa, treaty, covenant".
>
> Sp. ufano "arrogant, conceited". DRAE: "Possibly from Go. ufjô,
> wealth, excess; cf. Prov. ufana, conceit, Cat. ufana, luxuriance,
> pride".
>
> Sp. yelmo "helmet". DRAE: "From Gc. *hĕlm; cf. OHG, OE hëlm".
> Same as above, this word is surely related to Go. hilms but maybe
> does not come directly from Gothic.
I assume machete comes from Gothic meks.