Gundemar (Was Visigothic identity of Spain)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 18 19:07:48 UTC 2006

Hi, Tom

Yes, really Suebian seems a better option, from the historical view.
Thanks for pointing it out. Still, the name fits so nicely into the
Burgundian royal onomasticon that I'd hesitate to drop the idea. A
chance of a Burgundian name for a Visigothic king was probably an
inter-dynastic marriage. Are there any accounts of such a connection?

Another problem is that when adopting a name from a related, but
slightly different language people usually accommodated it to their
specific pronunciation. So, for instance, Old Norse sources mention
Aðalsteinn referring to Eþelstân, king of England. When the
Visigoths, given that they still knew their language, happened to
hear of a person calling himself Gundamâr, most natural for them was
not to try to imitate a long [a:], an exceptionally rare sound in
Gothic (examples like þâhta, brâhta and the like might contain a
nasalized vowel) but to substitute the whole with their Gunþimêrs,
being actually the same name, but in Gothic version. It's different
if the name was written already after the Visigoths and other
Germanic peoples in the Romance territory had lost their languages.
In this case they probably were left with fixed Latinized variants
reflecting the last stage of the spoken language before it died out.
In short, a Visigoth still speaking Gothic could translate a
Burgundian or Suebian name, but his Romanized descendant could not.

So, when had Gothic died in Spain?

Ualarauans

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, macmaster at ... wrote:

> Could that be a Suebian name? That would make more sense than a
Burgundian
> in the region - and would be, I'd guess, even more likely than a
Visigoth.

> ualarauans wrote:
> > Well, strictly spoken, Gundemarus is not Gothic, but Burgundian.
> > Notice the voiced stop [d] and the long [a:] which features are
> > clearly North-West Germanic, shared by Burgundian (as a result
of a
> > longer intercourse?) unlike other East Germanic languages. The
royal
> > Burgundian dynasty favored names with the Gund- element: their
kings
> > were called Gundacharius, Gundobadus, Gundeuechus et sim. Gothic
> > *Gunþimêrs ("battle/famous") would probably appear as
Gunthemirus in