Visigothic identity of Spain

macmaster at RISEUP.NET macmaster at RISEUP.NET
Wed Oct 18 20:07:41 UTC 2006

Actually, the Arian creed saw Jesus as a human and a Prophet, born of the
Virgin Mary and ascended into heaven after the resurection rather than as
a part of the Godhead; the view of Jesus in Islam is almost identical
(some scholars think Muhammad may have been influenced by Arian-like
Christians in Arabia)

Tom MacMaster

Michael Erwin wrote:
> They probably weren't Arians in the strict sense. There were several
> 'like' groups and two main 'unlike' groups, Arians and Aetians, and
> the known Gothic connections are with compromise-builders like
> Eusebius and with Aetians like Eunomius (as in the Procopian
> conspiracy, 365, and the Halmyris incident, 385). We don't know
> whether Wulfila was closer to the former or to the latter group, but
> later events, like Gaina's revolt, and works, like the Skeireins,
> suggest the latter.
>
> IIRC, Euric's laws copy Theodosius' laws in condemning the Aetians/
> Eunomians.
>
> Anyway, all these traditions regarded the Son as divine and worthy of
> worship. There was probably more group resemblance among Arianism,
> Aetianism, Sabellianism, Athanasianism, Nestorianism, Monophysite
> theology, etc. than between any one of these and any Muslim tradition.
>
> On Oct 17, 2006, at 12:58 PM, PatrMcGin at aol.com wrote:
>
>> The family tradition is probably correct. Several years ago I did
>> fair amount
>> of research on the whole topic of the Visigoths in Spain and the
>> Muslim
>> conquest. Most of the Visigoth nobles had to convert to Islam to
>> keep their lands
>> after the Conquest. The Visigoths were largely Arians any way and
>> Islam was
>> more consistent with Arianism than Catholicism with its idea of the
>> Trinity.
>>

>> Patrick McGinnis

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional