Visigothic identity of Spain

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 22 16:33:20 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> I've wondered for some time what the liturgical language of the
> Crimean Goths was. IIRC, their ecclesiastical autonomy within
> Constantinople lasted until 1797, though Greek may have
predominated
> later on; within 14 centuries they should have left something,
which
> would add to our understanding of the Gothic language.

I don't know, but I presume it was Greek, because

1) There were a lot of ethnic Greeks living in the territory of the
Gothic eparchy in the Crimea,

2) The Crimean Goths themselves could have been mostly bilingual
since relatively early times,

3) The Wulfilan alphabet and Bible translation were to be regarded
as heretical and thus not fit for use in an Orthodox community.

Unfortunately, the Busbequian vocabulary seems to be the only
monument of Crimean Gothic that we dispose of.

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: