Visigothic identity of Spain

Amer Sulejmanagic asulejma at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 26 21:45:56 UTC 2006

Just a few remarks on discussion

It is possible that some Arians gladly accepted Islam, but Muslim did
not have some special relations with Arianism particularly. According
to Shahristani all Christian sects can be divided in:
1. Orthodox Trinitary Faith (Melkitism, Nestorianism, Yakobism)
2. Unorthodox Trinitary Faith (Macedonianism, Sabelism, Arianism)
In fact Muslims were not interested in Christian heretical divisions.

The northern border of Islam in Spain? There is a possibility that
north of Spain was not completely Christian. Basques that defeated
Charlemagne in Ronseval Pass most probably were Islamized.

Contacts of Manicheism and Arianism in the Balkans. There are clear
evidences that in 5th and 6th century Manicheistic church existed in
Bistua Nova (Roman Municipium) near today's Zenica in Central Bosnia.
Northeast from there were three Illyric Arian centres: Sirmium
(Sremska Mitrovica), Mursa (Osijek) and Singidunum (Belgrade); and
Southwest from Zenica was one Arina centre: Salona (near Split). When
Slavs came to Balkans most of Romanized population fled to Bosnian
mountains and to Adriatic islands. There is great possibility that
Slavs in Bosnia were not Christianized in great number in 9th
century, and that Manicheism of late antiquity survived till the
Cathar movement.

Best regards,
Amer

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at ...> wrote:

> I presume you have read Obolenskys book
>
> http://www.stavgard.com/medeltid/bogomils_/default.htm
>
> Tore
>
> On Oct 25, 2006, at 12:57 AM, macmaster at ... wrote:
>
> > Are there any contemporary sources that discuss these
Septimanian

<michelsauvant@>

Roma

Visigothics,

> > > Salut Michel!
> > >
> > > Je suis très heureuse pour le verification de ma
> > hypothèse!
> > > I have all the time connected the later Cathars and Albingenses
with
> > > an inbreed from former Arians. Specially the tolerance included
is
> > > mutual for them and Germanic Arianism.And, as you say, they
were
> > then
> > > used to be regarded as heretics. I however did not know there
was an
> > > Arian king in Septimania that late, but it indeed explains a
lot. It
> > > also gives a new light on the debated Agots/Cagots which I
have
> > indeed
> > > suspected to be Arian outcasts after the formal conversion of
the
> > > Visigothic realm into Catholicism. Your information strengthens
this
> > > hypothesis.
> > >
> > > Salutations cordiales!
> > > Ingemar