Tribes in Ostrogothia: a re-run

Arthur Jones arthurobin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 10 03:14:26 UTC 2006

Hails alla,

  I believe to have read that, instead of fighting on the side of Totila and the Ostrogoths at the battle of Busta Gallorum in 552 AD, the Langobards were induced to leave the area entirely, not fight for either side, and the Romans then gave the Langobards some estates in the Balkans. This may, in fact, be one possible explanation for the presence of the Sword of Pernik, made about 800 AD, and found near Pernik, Bulgaria, ca. 30 km due West of Sophia. Its inscription reads,

  IHININIHUILPIDIHINIHUILPN

  Which, evidently, should be read as "Ih ini ni huil pid; Ih ini huil pn"; or, out of the Langobardic --already showing signs of OHG second sound shift, would mean, roughly, "I, within, await not the hour; I, within, AM the hour."

  Rough sentiments for Langobards, no? Finally, Othmar (Audemer) referred to the Langobards in his poem about the Busta Gallorum battle of 552 AD, "Totila Rides the Djerid":

  "...Rome's deserters now have joined
  yet I see arses, horse and man;
  Langobards are going home.
  They fear to ride the Djerid."

  Aizamundareiks

  Arthur
  arthur.jones at yahoo.com

Baira <baira_bear at yahoo.com> wrote:
          --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at ...> wrote:

> what about the lombards who founded milan...oscar

Langobards/Lombards, from which Lombardy got its name, arrived in
Italy only in 568, i.e. about 13 years after Byzantines destroyed the
Ostrogothic kingdom. Anyway in 552 6,000 Langobards (also with groups
of Heruli, Gepids and Huns)were part of the the Byzantine army
fighting against the Goths. These were the first recorded Langobards
in Italy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: