Farfalla

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 11 11:37:08 UTC 2006

Hi

Some days ago I was watching the Simpsons when they were in Italy.
A butterfly flow by and the son of sideshow Bob said: farfalla.
So I asumed it mean butterfly, which I later confirmed.

At that time I thought a word like farfalla sounded much similar to
germanic words and I guess it is a loan from some germanic language.
Could it be from gothic?
Or is it so that langobards left some words too and this is from them?

If you think it is gothic, then is the form a change in italian or in
gothic. I remember a discussion in posy 87-smth and forward about the
word butterfly and suggestions such as fifal(r)ô came up and also
faífald(r)ô.

Here's an idea. Could fifaldrô have become firfaldô > faírfaldô >
faírfallô > farfalla?

/Fredrik

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional