Markers of Gothicness (*Gutarbi?)

andrei_stirbu andrei_stirbu at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 11 12:22:10 UTC 2006

Dear friend, Romanian archaeologists are studying the Cernyachov
culture for decades (in Romania this culture is called Sântana de
Mures and is a better name because the most representative sites are
in Romania, where the center of the Goths was before they have moved
in Moesia).

The conclussions are that Cernyachov culture belonged to the
population of Gothic confederation, of Gothic, Sarmatic and Dacian origin.

The Roman character of the pottery (also, the pottery has a strong
Dacian character) is due to the aspirations of Goths to the
integration in Roman world, is a premeditated adoption of Roman forms
of culture.

About the raport between Goths and non-Goths in Moesia: I didn't heard
till now about Cernyachov discoeries in Moesia, is presumably that
Goths adopted realy Roman like culture (Cernyachov was but a
imitation), but preserving their language.

I dont know if they were more numerous than the non-Goths, they were
probably numbering some 2 hundreds thousands (my estimation, could be
wrong) including women and children, and the population of Moesia may
have been the same in that time.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: