Political Vocabulary

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 19 11:27:39 UTC 2006

Hi Michael

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> - thiudans - Only one name comes to mind, that of Theudis (iirc),
> Theodoric's viceroy in Spain. The word obviously derives from
> 'thiuda' (a or the people). Any associations with Ostrogotha,
Cniva,
> etc. are purely speculative, and any associations with Ermanericus
> must explain '-ricus' instead of '*-theudanus.'

I am not sure they must. Names ending in –reiks don't necessarily
imply that the person in question was titled reiks. There could
easily be bearers of such names who were not kings, and there
certainly were kings without –reiks or any other royal suffix in
their names. *Airminareiks could have been called thiudans as well
as his father *Agiwulfs. The most which a –reiks name could imply
was probably that its bearer was aristocratic (that's in fact what
reiks means as a common noun).

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional