Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Tue Sep 19 20:17:42 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "michelsauvant" <michelsauvant at ...>
wrote:

> Hi, David, Ingemar, Michael and Ualarauans
>
> In the following message I answer particularly to David and
> Ualarauans messages (yesterday)
> ( I didn't read at the moment the message you sent today)

Salut Michel!

Thank you very much for your long and informative information about
your research. It is indeed enlightning! As you know I am no linguist
and hence David and Ualaraus will provide better answers, but I still
have some points I will make.

> I will now ask you new questions:
>
> 1.Is your "a" at the end of [kuninga] pronounced like "account" or
> like "ago"?

It is more like account but with a long open 'a'.

> 2. I understand that there is more probability that the Visigoths
> came with the word "kuniggs" meaning "noble", than with this word
> meaning "king" . Is it true?

I do not think so personally. Even if Ualaraus is right about the
original meaning this is so late that the king-interpretation must be
more probable. As I assumed in my last mail to Ualaraus we may talk
about a 'petty-king´on the basic tribal niveau.

> In that case, I ask you what is the adjective in Gothic
> having "kunig" as root ? (like "königlich" in german)
> 3. Have you a reason to explain more the mutation of [kuninga]  to
> Canigo than mutation from  [kuningahauhi:]  to Canigo ?

That's not my table, sorry.

> At the end of our discussion , the conclusion cold be :
> "Now , with the existence of the Canigo we are able to attest that
> Visigoths coming in Spain have had "kuniggs", or some word similar,
> in their vocabulary in the 5th century before they forget gothic"

I would say so, yes! Or, perhaps the base is kuni??

> P.S.
> 1--Like french carolingian monks I think at 3 other ways to
> reconstruct "Canigo" through "gothic words:
> --- "Kuniggs Gu"  (= "Lord God"), created like "Jainko" in basque
> language.
> --- "Kunia Gu" (= "God of  (our) kin" )
> --- "Kunia hauh" ( = "Hight of (our) kin") like the name of the hill
> near Ingemar's home.

I would not be surprised if this is the correct solution, since it is
more likely than to call a mountain 'howe,mound or barrow'. An
alternativ would of course be 'the kings height' - our mountain is not
sharp-peaked and accordingly it is called a hill, the Kind's Hill.

I might add that 'k' in 'kind' should be spoken as 'tj', not 'k'. That
is in Swedish of course.

Salutations cordiale!

Ingemar

<*> Your email settings: