Tribes, peoples and their leaders

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 24 11:47:30 UTC 2006

Hails Ansugais!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at ...> wrote:

> i think king could also be kigg......what about queen......im sure
the goths had
> queens in spain, but not sure before their arrival.....oscar

I'm not sure but I'd suggest *thiudani F.-jo (Gen. *thiudanjos) as a
wife of a thiudans. For a "ruling queen" there could probably be
used a participle-based *thiudanondi F.-jo (like attested frijondi).
I didn't hear the migrating Goths had ruling queens, but they say
the Sarmatians were a rather matriarchal people
(GYNAIKOKRATOUMENOI "ruled by women"). As the Goths dealt in both
peaceful and military way with the Sarmatians, they would have
needed a word for a "she-ruler". And you'd need it today to refer
to, say, the Queen of England. For which *Thiudanondi Agglilandis
can probably be an option.

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional