Pronunciation of "Sk"

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 27 08:13:21 UTC 2006

Hi Jason,
I think it was pronounced as written, that is [sk], at least at the
time when Wulfila devised the Gothic alphabet (4th century),
otherwise he would have invented a special letter for the "sh" sound.
But how this group is reflected in the Crimean Gothic of the 16th
century, is not very clear to me. The sole Crimean Gothic word of the
Busbecq's list corresponding to a Wulfilan word containing "sk" is
_fisct_ "fish" (Wulfilan: fisks), probably a typo instead of *fisc or
*fisch. Another word in Busbecq that would correspond to a word
containig [sk] in Old Germanic and Wulfilan Gothic is _schieten_ "to
shoot", corresponding to a unattested Wulfilan *skiutan (only its
derivative is attested, the dat. sg. form _skauta_
meaning "protrusion, projection"). The "sch" of Busbecq could be the
Dutch "sch" (pronounced [s-x], where [x] is a guttural fricative
sound like the "ch" in German "ach" or Scottish "loch") or the
German "sch" (pronounced like English "sh"). For the latter reading
speaks the fact that the "sch" group appears also where in Wulfilan
we have a "s" (initial before consonant, like in German), which in
this case could be read only as English "sh":
schuuester "sister" (Wulfilan: swistar)
schlipen "to sleep" (Wulfilan: slepan)
schuualth "death" (Wulfilan: swulta-)
schuos, typo for *schnos "daughter-in-law" (for Germanic *snuzo)
Thus most probably Busbecq's "sch" should be read like German "sch"
or English "sh".
The shift [sk] > [sh] in schieten is explainable through
palatalization before [i].
But what about _fisct_ "fish"? This is obviously a typo.
If the correct form is "fisc" (as Streitberg believes in
his "Gotisches Elementarbuch"), then the Gothic [sk] group was
preserved in non-palatalizing position until the 16th century.
But if the correct form is "fisch", than most probably all Old Gothic
[sk] has later evolved to English "sh". Who knows?

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Jason Polchinski" <jpolchin at ...>
wrote:

> How is the "sk" as in skalks or fisks pronounced? As written or
as "sh" in
> English?

> Try the new Live Search today!
> http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-