Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 27 11:52:24 UTC 2006

Hi Arthur,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at ...>
wrote:

> <...>
>
>    Kidding aside, I want to respond to Ualarauans' masterful
precision in
> analyzing my hypothesis that Gothic "kuni qairnus" in the Crimea
gave us current
> "hun-charna". Ualarauans wrote:
>
> >    "But the Slavs were relatively late to come into the Crimea.
The suggested
> > development qairnus > -charna must have taken place in some
other language. This
> > language must simplify [kw] > [k] and then palatalize k to ch
before e or i,
> > this e getting opened to a ..."

With a correction "[e] getting opened to [a] AFTER affricates" (was
erroneously BEFORE). At first, I was thinking of OCSl.
charu "witchcraft" which evolved from PIE *kwer- (Pokorny, I, 641-
642). We can observe all the said processes here. But when standing
before another consonant (like in qairnus), this [er] would yield a
vocalic [r] (written as /ri/) instead, and that would give us OCSl.
chrinu as I told, a word meaning "black". This development was
exclusively Slavic, caused by the Law of Open Syllables, and it
didn't affect other IE languages.

>    Right you are! But aside from Slavic, Tatar (Turkic), Turkish
(Turkic), and
> Greek, what other language from a Satem branch could have
intervened as the
> "Trichter" through which those sounds were funneled? The answer
might be:
> Alanic.
>    As we know, the Alans were close allies of Ostrogoths, and also
filtered
> heavily through the Crimea and the northern and eastern Pontic
regions. They are
> still found today under the name "Ironi", and live in South
Ossetia. Their
> language is directly descended from Old Persian, albeit with many,
many Gothic
> loan words.

Iraettae (pl. of Iron "Ossetian") live in North Ossetia as well.
Their federal republic is officially called Alania nowadays.

>    I believe that Sturla Ellingvag and his DNA testing crew are
there even as we
> speak.
>
>    In any case, could Alanic have turned Kuni-qairnus into Hun-
charna? I believe
> so. If we look at Michael Meier-Bruegger, Indogermanische
Sprachwissenschaft,
> 8th Ed., Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 2002, ISBN 3-11-017243-7,
Section L339, at
> page 130, "Ähnlich wie im Großteil des späteren Lat.+ Roman. ein
kw vor e und i
> palatalisiert wurde, unterliegen satemsprachliche kw-Phoneme
sekundären
> Palatalisationen vor Vorderzungenvokalen. Zu beachten ist, daß
auch im
> Indoiranischen urprüngliches -e die Palatalisierung ihm
vorangehender kw-
> Phoneme bewirkt hat. Uridg. -e ist erst nach diesem Prozeß zu -a
geworden."

I'm struck by the likeness of the descriptions! Thanks for this! But
we probably should bear in mind that, according to your hypothesis,
the word was not native in Alanian, but borrowed from Gothic, and
borrowed not earlier than 250 AD (supposed year of the Goths
invading the Crimea). Thus, it could not have gone through all the
phonetic perturbation which affected Alanian words inherited from
PIE. To positively answer to the question whether qairnus could
yield charna on the North Iranian soil, the Alanian palatalization
and the consequent change [e] > [a] must be dated later than the
period of the Gotho-Alanian contact. Are they? We urgently need an
Iranianist!

>    Then, on page 135, Section L344, the example is given that
seems to fit our
> problem, " Got. qiwans "die lebendigen" -the living- yields Old
Persian
>    -chiva- (Old Church Slavonic -zhiv'-).
>
>    Thus, we have an Alanic version or influence yielding the
present day
> Hun-charna.
>    Please note that English retains both "quick" and "quirn" from
Danish and from
> Vikings, while also rendering "churn" in good English.
>
>    Sorry for the filuwaurdeis.

Filuwaurdei Theina maist wailaqumana ist!

>    With kindest regards,
>
>    Arthur

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings: