Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

urba_kestutis urba_kestutis at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Sep 27 13:29:56 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> A few sketchy hypotheses; I'm not ready to argue for or against
> these, but I'd like to know what others make of these.
>
> (1) Got. 'reiks' doesn't come (directly) from Lat. 'rex.'
>
> (2) Got. 'reiks' comes from Clt. 'rix.'
>
> (3) Eng. 'king' doesn't come (at all) from Greek.
>
> (4) Eng. 'king' comes from Eng. 'kin.'
>
> (5) Got. 'kindins' comes from Got. 'kuni.'
>
> (6) Got. '*kunig--' would come from Got. 'kuni' as well. (what
should
> the Gothic ending be?)
>
> (7) Got. 'thiudans' comes from Got. 'thiuda.'
>
> (8) The analogy kindins : kuni :: thiudans : thiuda is older and
> meanings probably shifted.
>
> (9) The analogy *kunigs : kuni :: thiudans : thiuda is younger
and
> probably holds.
>
> (10) Both kindins and *kunigs derive from the same word using
older
> and newer word-formation rules. Because the vowels diverge in
kindins
> vs. kuni I assume kindins is older. Because *kunigs is attested
in
> the other Germanic languages it is still very old - probably
Common-
> Germanic. Alternatively, one of kindins and *kunigs might have
been
> borrowed from another Germanic language, or *kunigs might have
been
> unknown in Gothic.

about (2) - in prussian language there is rikis and this sounds like
lithuanian rekti - the meaning to shout and rikiuoti - to make order
in some millitary troop ar army, so for me - rex is the great
shouter near his army and order maker. The king is the best hunter
according to the greek word for hunter - kunegos

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)