Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 28 08:28:32 UTC 2006

Hi, Michael and Urba,

Sorry, in my previous message I pushed by error the "Send" button and
before the message was ready...

What I write bellow is commonly accepted by linguists, and will take
the examples from two sources:
- Koebler
(http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
erterbuch/GOT-K.pdf), and
- Online Etymology Dictionary (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php)
both these sources reflecting the commonlyaccepted viewpoints.

The Gothic word _kuni_ "clan, tribe, race, generation" is cognate with
other Germanic words like Old High German _chunni_, Old Norse _kyn_,
Old English _cyn_ > Modern English _kin_, the reconstructed Proto-
Germanic (PG) form being *kunja-n, which comes from the Proto-Indo-
European (PIE) root *g'en- (g' = palatal g) "to produce, to
generate", with the variants g'en at -, g'ne:-, g'no:- etc. From the
same PIE root (and with the same Germanic sound shift, g' > k) are
also Germanic words derived otherwise, like Old English _ge-cynd_ >
English _kind_, Old English _cynn_ "family", Old Norse kundr "son",

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "urba_kestutis" <urba_kestutis at ...>
wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin@> wrote:
> >
> > I still think 'king' comes from 'kin' or  for the Gothic.
> >
> > Of course one C-Gmc root can yield two Gothic words, as with mawi
> and
> > magatha, (or two English words, as with churn and quern, shirt
> and
> > skirt, ship and skiff, etc.) so that kindins and *kunig-- might
> come
> > from the same root. IIRC, mawi and magatha reflect changing word-
> > formation patterns within C-Gmc and Gothic, while shirt and
skirt
> > reflect internal borrowing among Germanic languages.
> >

> In lithuanian (neighbors of goths) there is the word kunas
> (pronounciatin is like eng. koonus) with a meaning BODY and
latvian
> language has the simmilarity. So, Gothic 'kuni' is possibly related
> to  lithuanian kunas, because 'kuni' has the meaning from the same
> body, too but in prussian there is no koonas but kermenis. How to
> explain this puzzle?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: