Terwingi and Tyringi/Turingi

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Thu Sep 28 19:01:48 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> The Burgundians were in the area by the 350s; they could've
> introduced East-Germanic forms, and the Thurungians could derive
> their name from the same process as Thervingi/Greuthungi and
(Slavic)
> Drevlani/Polyani (sp?). Some ancient tribal names (Volcae for the
> Celts; Cimbri for the Celts and possibly proto-Germanic groups)
> emerge different times in different places, and formation-
processes
> probably explain more than borrowings would.
>
> So connecting the Thervingi with the Thurungians is plausible but
not
> necessary.

Hi Michael,

I think you are right, one shouldn't attempt to link all and
everybody just because of name similarities. There are plenty of
examples of similar ethnonyms, which have nothing to do with each
other. Yet, the case of the Theuringi-Theruingi link is based also on
archaeology. According to B. Schmidt in "Studien zu Sachsenforschung"
no. 13, 1999, carriers of the Chernyakhovs and Sintana-de-Mures
culture from the region between Danube and Dnjestr arrived in the
centre of the later Thuringian kingdom in the last decades of the 4th
century.

Cheers,

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional