Niuja Waurda

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 17 11:22:46 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> > > *mageis (mJA) "magus, wiseman"
> >
> > If borrowed it should have been magus and inappropriately
coincided
> > with the inherited magus for "boy". What could have been a pure-
> > Gothic word? Maybe something like *saiþa-manna or *saiþa-hameis
> > M.-ja or –hams M.-i (apart from ON seiðmaðr, there's a mention of
> > Saitchamimi/s/ dat. pl. in a continental votive inscription with
> > meaning "die durch Zauber ihre Gestalt ändern können"). No doubt
> > there must've been a rich terminology. Could one also form
masculine
> > from haljaruna "maga mulier" (haliurunnae pl. in Jordanes)?
>
> Old English has masculine 'hellrúna' besides feminine 'hellrúne'
and
> 'hellerúne', 'hellrún' and 'hellrýnegu'.  Compare also
OHG 'hellirúna'
> "necromantia".  Old English also has 'tungolwitega' and 'tunglere'
for
> astronomer (Go. *tunglawitja, *tunglareis) -- a less sinister
> application for the Biblical magi?  As a Zoroastrian priest, a
> compound with -gudja (funigudja) perhaps?  And we recently
discussed
> the adjective'lubjaleis', which is attested once in the plural in
the
> substantivised sense of magicians.  Another possibility:
*galdramanna
> (cf. ON galdramaðr).

Wow, thanks for that! Funi-gudja seems to me an especial success
(apart from asking whether funi- is the right form for a compound
element, something that I don't know). Could it also be tuggla-gudja
(after Hebrew oved kokhavim "worshipper of stars" used for pagan
Gentiles)? Tugglawitja – maybe tugglawita (after un-wita)?

> > > *weina-skalks (mA) "cup-bearer, wine-servant". (but att. Go.
> skagkja
> > "server")
>
> > Where is skagkja attested?
>
> As 'scancia' in the Visigothic laws.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the answer. Incidentally, could
you please direct me to a URL where these laws are to be read in
Latin? Thanx.

Ualarauans