Contemporary language. [Database] - Sintana de Mures

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 17 12:05:39 UTC 2007

Sîntana (in the new Romanian ortography: Sântana) is a contraction of
Sânta Ana, meaning "holy Anne" (Latin: Sancta Anna).
"de" is the same as Latin "de"
Mures is a river name in Transylvania (in Hungarian: Maros, in German:
Mieresch). In ancient sources it appears as Maris or Moris. Iordanes
(Getica XXII) calls it Marisia.
Thus, Sîntana de Mures corresponds to a Latin *Sancta Anna de Maris(-
ia).

Francisc