Drus Griutinge (a few revisions)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Apr 19 16:08:15 UTC 2007

Hails, Þiudan!  Jah þus þagk fairhaita in halpos þeinaizos.

...and thanks for your help.

> > Lausana ik gasahv þar falkan
> > fiþro ana anza.
> >
> > I'm straining the limits of permissible unstressed syllables there;
> > that might need more thought.

[...]

> Would it be all right to elide 'ik' or combine to "gasahv-k"?

Ik samaleiko þagkida...  Iþ in þizei ni aina swaleika frisaht kunnana
ist in gutiskon, þauhjabai frisahteis sind jah in 'prosai' in þaim
airizeim fairnjom naurþronjom gameleinim, þwastozo wesi aufto af þamma
gahaban uns?

I did wonder about that...  But since not one such example is known in
Gothic, although examples do exist even in prose in the earlier Old
Norse writings, perhaps it would be safer to refrain?

Nu mito:
At the moment, I'm thinking:

Fulka ik gasahv þar frijana
fiþro ana anza.

aiþþau

Frijana ik gasahv þar fulka
fiþro ana anza.

Þata du 'frijana' brukjan huleiþ hva twiwulþr, maizuþ-þan wulþr
sainida, (fiþro laus, fiþralaus : laus...fiþro), iþ andanem mag wisan,
in liuþa, faura 'lausana' standan.

Using "free" conceals the double-significance, or rather: delayed
significance, somewhat ((feather)less, free...of feathers), but it
might be an acceptable poetic substitute for 'lausana'.

Not an exceptionally long dip by Old English standards now, taking
into account resolution on 'frija-', and the extra alliteration can't
hurt.