Drus Griutinge (salws)

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Thu Apr 19 21:26:03 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

> Isn't it too bad that the only attested *salw- is Go. salwa "unhurt",
> prob. from Lat. salvus -a -um? I think there could have been a *salus or
> *salws (like Go. falws) but cannot tell if the meaning would be
> "yellow", "dark" or what. I wonder btw where this verbal Go. saul- with
> meaning "dirt, mud" comes from. Something to do with "dark" > "stained"?

Hi all linguistic experts!

As totally ignorant in the linguistic field I still dare to make an
humble suggestion about 'saul' in connection with specially 'stained'.
In  Swedish we say' solkig' as an adjektive and 'solk' as substantive
meaning 'dirty,stained, worn, not in shape like new' but not heavily
dirty.The Sw.verb 'solka', No. sulka,saulka, Da. solke, sulke;
k-avledn. to Gmc 'sul'. I even  would suggest a connection to Engl.
'soil'. If you get soil on a shirt it becomes 'solkig ' et c.

                                                      I think this
'saul' has the same  origin.

Best
Ingemar