New file uploaded to gothic-l (ents, Faroes, Christmas)

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Apr 29 16:20:12 UTC 2007

why not xristadaga for christmas......juileis seems more julyish....is juilies for christmas attested......invizei ni samaleika waurds af wulfilas gaskeirith......why not compare words from wulfilas translations.....phrasing of your sentences ; if your speaking english and you verbatim gothic as your speaking english, could i be speaking it right if its understandable.......oscar

ualarauans <ualarauans at yahoo.com> wrote:          --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> The month name 'fruma jiuleis' which appears in the Calendar as a
> synonym for 'Naubaimbair' is masculine singular, as shown by the
> adjective: a long ja-stem like hairdeis. It corresponds to ON ýlir
> (masculine singular) and Anglian OE giuli (mentioned by Bede:
> Primusque eorum mensis, quem Latini Januarium vocant, dicitur
> Giuli...December Giuli, eodem quo Januarius nomine, vocatur...
Menses
> Giuli a conversione solis in auctum diei, quia unus eorum præcedit,
> alius subsequitur, nomina accipiunt (cited in the OED)) -- in later
> West Saxon OE the months before and after the feast are called 'se
> æ´rra géola' and 'se æftera géola', with a change of declension to
> masculine n-stems.

It would be nice if we could call December fruma jiuleis and
January – anþar jiuleis. But why November in the Calender?

> The midwinter feast itself -- the 12 days of Christmas -- is neuter
> plural in ON and Icelandic (jól), and sometimes in Old English (æ´r
> géolum = advent). Maybe the tendency to make it singular came as
the
> word's meaning changed to apply to the Christian festival. In
view of
> which, maybe it is worth having a more specific word after all for
the
> day itself when Christ's birth is commemorated, and keep the old
> grammar for the festive 12 days as a whole.

I support the idea of having separate terms for the pagan and the
Christian festival. For the latter maybe smth like Xristujiul in
singular?

Ualarauans