New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sun Apr 29 23:29:09 UTC 2007

Hi Llama non and Arthur,

I am sure you both know that several researchers have suggested ther
is a treasury of preserved Gothic in Finnish. Other however have
denied it and meant it is PGmc or Nordic borrowings. Still there is a
good possibility  that juhla could derive from Gothic. Who am I to know.

I knew of course of the microscanning of Gothic documents but only of
the new technique as such and not of specific results as in the case
of Naubaimbair. I must ask Lars more specific of that next time we
meet. Typically enough we met together with the Bulgarians in Uppsala
but I had no idea of this very thing.

Your reference, Llama, to Dróttin is good and it has parallels in A-S
and OSax. The Swedish example is however much later - medieval. The
sense in any case is good and your suggestion of fraujins mel
gabaurþais seems good to me for the Christian feast and so we can save
jiuleis(in the proper form that you as linguist decide), preferably as
before and after, for Yule. Everybody are happy.

Best greetings
Ingemar