Place names derived from the Alans (name)

Rydwlf mitsuhippon at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 1 18:17:36 UTC 2007

Dear all,

  Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information available on toponyms of supposed Alan origin (or at least named after them) in Iberia. Spanish place names quoted as of Alan origin are Villalán de Campos (in Valladolid) and Puerto de Alano (in Huesca).

  Villalán de Campos is considered of roman origin although there have been some celtiberian remains in the village.

  Puerto de Alano is in reality an area near the village of Ansó. I don't know if it was a settlement some time in the past.

  In Portugal, according to the Wikipedia article, "There are some vestigies of the Alans in Portugal, namely in Alenquer (whose name may be germanic for the Temple of the Alans, from "Alen Ker", and whose castle may have been established by them; the Alaunt is still represented in that city's coat of arms), in the construction of the castles of Torres Vedras and Almourol, and in the city walls of Lisbon  where vestigies of their presence may be found under the foundations of the Church os Santa Luzia."

  (source: Milhazes, José. Os antepassados caucasianos dos portugueses - Rádio e Televisão de Portugal in Portuguese.)

  Alano (Sp. for Alan) is also the name of a dog breed (more info in the quoted Wikipedia article).

  Cheers,
  Rydwlf.

ualarauans <ualarauans at yahoo.com> wrote:
  --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, amicus at ... wrote:

> I have an offbeat question. I understand that the Alans were a
Persian
> people. I guess then they spoke some language related to Persian.
The
> Alans passed through Spain. Any evidence of their presence there
now?

I know there are some place names in France derived from the name of
the Alans. Something like Alainville. But I don't remember exactly.
Probably there's something like this in Spain, too?

Ualarauans