identification of Flutausis as Cogaeanus

Frederick Louis Scoggins scoggins3375 at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Aug 19 06:45:32 UTC 2007

dciurchea wrote:

> "In the land of Scythia to the westward dwells, first of 33
> all, the race of the Gepidae, surrounded by great and
> famous rivers. For the Tisia flows through it on the
> north and northwest, and on the southwest is the great
> Danube. On the east it is cut by the Flutausis, a swiftly
> eddying stream that sweeps whirling into the Ister's
> waters. Within these rivers lies Dacia, encircled by the 34
> lofty Alps as by a crown." Jordannes:V
> (The Project Gutenberg eBook, The Origin and Deeds of the Goths, by
> Jordanes, Translated by Charles C. Mierow
> http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14809
> <http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14809> : V)
>
> The name of the river should be Plautausis (i.e. in modern
> Romanian 'plutashi', eng. raftsmen).
> Indeed, this river which today starts in the mountains as Bistritza
> and later as Siret down to the Danube was used by raftsmen until
> 1969 to convey timber down to Danube and therefore may be taken
> as "Plutashi">>Plauta(u)si(s), the border of Gepidia with Caucoensi.
> According to a decent map derived from Ptolemy
> (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/macedonia_1849.jpg
> <http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/macedonia_1849.jpg>) the
> name of this river is "Cogaeonus", i.e. a name related to the Getic
> sacred mountain Kogaion.
> The term "koga" is used locally today as an insult for the
> strangers, foreigners (not in dictionaries); the official name is
> Neamtz(usually denoting a german; the word is actually formed
> starting from the root "neam"=stock), as an euphemism for foreigner,
> since today there is a small ucrainean community there; perhaps in
> antiquity Starbon(7:3:5) was told about the "Kogaionon" the border.
>
> I am glad to learn that the toponimic transcripted by Jordannes was
> in fact genuine Romanian (i.e. Wallachian), as with Galtis on Alutha.

Once again the historian Jordanes was incorrect in identifying the
Gepidae as German. Please stop using his flawed historical assumptions.
They (the Gepidae) were never of that stock but alleged to have been a
remnant of the Sumerians. They (Gepidae) were destroyed by Trajan in the
2d Century A.D. What remained of the ancient Dacians, the Gepidae were
absorbed by the later Huns, Magyars and other Slavs. Here is a good
scientific research project, examine the Gepidae DNA/RNA with present
day Dacians, Bulgars and Romanians. Match with the DNA of Sumerians and
see what the human genome says.

Frederick Louis Scoggins