Element word

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 30 11:34:37 UTC 2007

The element aluminium/aluminum comes from latin alumen which means alum.

The word alumen is made of the root alu- and the common -men ending.
The same root (which means bitter) exists in the germanic word aluth
which is the origine of english 'ale'.
Even north germanic has it, as in swedish öl.

Since germanic has the same ending as latin -men, a similar word could
be constructed (if it didn't exist). And then also a gothic form.

I suppose it would be 'aluma' (wm) in gothic. And the meaning 'alum'.

>From that word could we create the word 'alumastafs' =
aluminium/aluminum.

What do you think about that, huh?

/Fredrik