1. Cor. 6:9-10

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Dec 3 20:12:59 UTC 2007

Well, is the Gothic translation a translation of (A) the ideal Greek
text as reconstructed by modern scholars (B) the ideal Greek text as
understood by Wulfila or (G) the local Greek text from the Balkans.
I'm inclined towards a mix of (G) with Wulfila relying on local Greek
text-traditions and a bit of (B) with Wulfila cross-checking against
other well-regarded Greek and Latin texts. Particularly the Greek
texts of the school of Lucian. It's possible that one of the Greek
texts included the same peculiarities as the Gothic version.

I've read that arsenokoites is a reference to Leviticus 18 and one
other chapter. Since we don't have Leviticus, we don't have Wulfila's
translation of those passages either.

However, it's possible that the omission comes from the translation
instead of the Greek source. I suppose that Gothic culture may have
worked with different categories regarding sex, and possibly perjury,
slavery and the rest of the list, that the term hors, or the list as
a whole, might cover the missing words, or cover Wulfila's
understanding of the intent of the missing words.

Suppose we have a list that includes:

A,
B,
G,
D,
E.

And we have words which mean

A,
B or G,
G or Q,
D,
A or E.

And Q is not in the list. In this case, isn't it better to drop "G or
Q" and rely on "B or G" to cover the missing word? That's one way the
omission could be deliberate, whether or not one of the sources drops
the term.

I'd end up translating 1 Cor. 6-9: "... nih horos nih galiugam
skalkinondans nih horos nih horos nih ..." Maybe this one does need
more exact words. Kalkjo (f) suggests *kalkeis (m) (or phrases such
as wair-*kalkeis and, to the shame of mankind, magus-*kalkeis) but
inventions pose several problems.