1. Cor. 6:9-10

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Dec 5 11:29:13 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> ON blauðr is a-stem while its cognates (OE bleaðe, OS blôthi) are i-
> or ja-stems. What could be the Gothic form?

For Old English, I can only find 'bléaþ' (a-stem).  If it had been an
i/ja-stem, the vowel would be mutated in West Saxon: *blíeþe.

http://beowulf.engl.uky.edu/cgi-bin/Bosworth-Toller/ebind2html3.cgi/bosworth?seq=122

That still leaves the disagreement between OE and ON on the one hand,
and OHG blôdi and OS blôði on the other.  Sometimes such variations
may be due to the word having once been a u-stem.  The OED suggests
this possibility in the case of OE íeþe : ON auðr : Go. auþj-.  But
this isn't a surefire way of predicting the declension in Gothic, cf.
Go. hauns (a-stem? i-stem?) : OE héan : OHG hôni.  So, for all we
know, *blauþ- could have been an a-stem, ja-stem or u-stem in Gothic:
?*blauþs, ?*blauþeis, ?*blauþus.  (On its own the Old Norse a-stem
carries less weight as evidence than the West German forms, since many
adjectives were reassigned to the a-stem declension there.)

LN