Imperative of type VI verbs

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Jul 4 06:28:25 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "gutdwala" <gutdwala at ...> wrote:

> Hails,
>
> Does anyone know what the imperative of verbs like 'fraihnan' and
> 'frathjan' would have been? Verbix gives them as 'fraihn' and
> 'frathj', but I'm sure it would be 'frathei', or perhaps just
> 'frath'? Maybe 'fraih'?

You are right to be suspicious of Verbix.  The imperatives of these
two are 'fraihn' and 'frathei'.

hvis mik fraihnis? fraihn þans hausjandans hva rodidedjau du im; sai,
þai witun þatei qaþ ik. (J 18:21).

fraþei þatei qiþa; gibiþ auk þus frauja fraþi us allaim. (II Tim 2:7).

'fraihnan' is actually a Class V verb, with the irregularity that -n-
appears in the present tense only, thus fraihnan: frah, frehum, fraihans.

'frathjan', and the other Class VI verbs with infinitives that end in
in -jan, are conjugated in the present tense like Weak Class 1 verbs
such as 'nasjan'.

LN