Toledo

Le Bateman LeBateman at ATT.NET
Wed Jul 11 06:08:58 UTC 2007

What Greek manuscript was used as the guide for the translation of the
Gothic Bible?
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tore Gannholm" <tore at gannholm.org>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:12 PM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Re: Toledo

As long as the were Arian Christian the Gothic language was the
reglious language as their bible was written in the Gothic language.
The bible was translated into Gothic much earlier than it was
translaten into Latin.

Tore

4 jul 2007 kl. 21.52 skrev raul catalan ramos:

> I have "argued" about this point with my friends several times.From
> my point
> of view, according to the number of words inherited from east
> germanic, it
> is very unlikely the employ of gothic by goths in Hispania,
> becasuse most of
> germanic words in nowadays spanish is limited to only a handful
> examples (as
> "guerra" (written "Werra" in the ancient sources , meaning "war") or
> "bosque" meaning "forest", both of them nearby the same as the
> italian words
> for war, "guerra", and forest,"bosco"). On the other hand, the lack of
> written sources in gothic can't be used to deny the employ of
> gothic among
> goths in hispania, because the written sources from this period are
> closely
> related to the highest elites of society, whose focus was the roman
> (and
> then bizantine) culture and the employ of Latin. I agree with the
> idea that
> gothic vanished in a few generations, but I think that it must
> endured for
> some time in rural areas far from the cities.

> Descubre la descarga digital con MSN Music. Más de un millón de
> canciones.
> http://music.msn.es/

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.