Use of Gothic language in Spain

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Thu Jul 26 02:00:42 UTC 2007

assimilated and extermination are foolhardy words..........oscar

ualarauans <ualarauans at yahoo.com> wrote:          --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Perhaps 'creole' would be a more precise term for this hypothetical
> language. A 'pidgin', by definition, has no native speakers; it's
> simplified language used to ease communication between speakers of
> mutually incomprehensible languages. A 'creole' is what a 'pidgin'
> becomes if and when children grow up speaking it as their first
language.

> LN

Yes, but still are there any material evidence that this creole
language did once exist? As far as I can see the classical opinion
is (was?) that members of the Gothic tribal armies spoke a
colloquial form of the same language whose cultivated literary and
probably a bit archaizing form we find in the Bible translation. In
fact we have no evidence for this colloquial form either, but we can
conclude about it based on common laws of language development. Now
Dirk says it was a pidgin. No evidence is cited meanwhile. I'm ready
to believe it if I see some proof. For example a grave inscription
made by a Goth using this language or something alike. "Hic ligit
Guallia theudanus Gothorum. Thrasamirus dructio fecit". Until then
the pidgin theory is only a hypothesis which replaces another (much
more probable) hypothesis that the Goths spoke Gothic before they
switched to Vulgar Latin and were assimilated in Spain. In Italy
they were not assimilated. They were exterminated.

Ualarauans

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin@> wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > Both were
> > > Christian, both included many ethnic Germans, but also many
non-
> > > Germanic people; both were Christians, both moved around with
their
> > > wives and children both were similarly dressed and equipped and
> > > importantly both spoke a Latin-Germanic military pidgin that
was
> > > mutually comprehensible.
> >
> > Could you please cite some examples of the notorious "Latin-
Germanic