introductions

Engill engill.vitki at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 5 18:52:03 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ulf Wiman" <Esperanto3 at ...> wrote:

> Matt:
>
> I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an
attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance
a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic.  This does
not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones.  By Gothic
we don't mean a literary `horror' genre or an architecture style, but
a language revival based on real Gothic.  This could not entirely be
the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the
existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other
language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New
Norse).  This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the
fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan
translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and
Icelandic, e.g.

> Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without
any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI
conventions.
> Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be
an "ideal,"  not the standard, but rather a direction.
> Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.
> Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.
> Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.
>
> Ulfie (just a thought!)

hails all members of the list

I´m not a linguist but i´m very interested in having a gothic
language I can use in my heathen practices. After reading thru the
list I found the introductory course by David Salo. I´ll work on it
and ask as many question I can. I would be very nice to be able to
hold a ritual for my ancestors in their language or a new version
based on it.

Jah Frith ana sunya

Aggilus