Gothic influence on Spanish language?

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Tue Mar 6 20:54:38 UTC 2007

On 06.03.2007, at 20:33, Jason Polchinski wrote:

> I am also
> curious about the root word of guerra (sp.)/guerre (fr.), since the
> word for
> war in Latin is "bellum." Is there a Germanic root there?

Yes, it looks like (Old) Frankish _werra_ is the source of French
_guerre_.  As for Spanish _guerra_ I'm not sure whether the word
entered the language via French or whether it's an independent loan
from some Germanic superstrate language. Thirdly, the word might have
been absorbed into colloquial Latin even earlier. Anyhow, the
Germanic origin is undisputed.

Best,
David