Gotho-Slavic (Was: Gothic influence on Spanish language?)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 19 19:57:51 UTC 2007

Hails Denis,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Paperno D." <denis.paperno at ...>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> 2)       This version would presuppose (Visi)Gothic contacts with
East
> Slavs, which is not impossible, though their later contacts with
South Slavs
> are much better attested (please correct me, I don't feel free in
such
> historical questions)

I'd think that the first Slavs to welcome the invading Goths were
the would-be West Slavs. I don't feel free here either, but isn't
the earliest archaeological vestige of the Goths in the continent
the so called Wielbark culture in what is now Poland?

> 3)       The early Germanic-Slavic linguistic contacts (for that
epoch, it's
> hard to distinguish whether they were particularly Gothic-Slavic)
are
> attested mostly in borrowings INTO Slavic, not from Slavic (please
correct
> me if I oversimplify in this point).

AFAIK the only Gothic word which is surely Slavic is the verb
plinsjan "to dance" < OCS *ple.sati [plensati] > Polish pla.sac,
Czech plesati ("to rejoice", not "to dance"), Russian plesat' etc.
Another suspectedly Slavic loan poses an interesting problem,
correlating with your exposition  on Proto-Slavic *pelva. It's Go.
plat "piece of cloth" (EPIBLHMA). There's an OCS word plat-u with
the same meaning. The word is a part of a larger etymological family
in Slavic, its PIE-inherited Germanic match is Go. falþan "to fold".
The Proto-Slavic reconstructed form is *polt-u. OCS (Old Church
Slavic) is a South Slavic (Old Bulgarian or Old Macedonian)
language, with its typical change –olt- > -lat-. If Go. plat is
indeed from Slavic, it must have been South Slavic (Proto-Slavic
*polt-u would likely yield Go. *palt). Hence the question: what
dates are usually set for the divergent development of Proto-Slavic
–olt-? How is it possible that a later (traditionally, much later!)
South Slavic form could have existed in the period of the Gothic
presence in East Europe?

> 4)       The early Germanic-Slavic linguistic contacts usually
connected
> with the name of Goths are dated at the Proto-Slavic epoch, and
East-Slavic
> to Gothic looks like anachronism.

That's just what I'm about with South Slavic plat-u.

Ualarauans