Toledo

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue May 29 15:32:07 UTC 2007

Your previous message with the Arabic characters displayed alright on
my computer after I went to the VIEW menu, selected CHARACTER ENCODING
and UNICODE UTF-8.  Interesting idea.  I'm afraid I know far to little
about the history of the name to judge.  I wonder if there's any
evidence of such a diminutive form being used in Latin.  If you're
right though, this might conflict with Richard d'Alquen's hypothesis
that phonemic /e/ and /o/ were a distinctly Ostrogothic feature, but
remained allophones of /i/ and /u/ in Visigothic.  Is it normal in
loanwords from Latin into Arabic for Latin /o/ to be represented in
this way, by making a neighboring consonant emphatic?  Are there other
examples?

LN

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Abdoer-Ragmaan Lombard"