INTRO / question about elder futhark

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Nov 26 21:53:06 UTC 2007

I'm not very familiar with the research, but in my understanding, the
Wulfilan Gothic alphabet begins with the Greek alphabet, and later
picks up useful features from the Roman alphabet. Of the spoken
letters, only þiuþs, hvair, and possibly jer, are specifically Gothic
innovations. I'm not too familiar with the substitution of the
Cyrrillic che-symbol for the Greek qoppa-symbol for the numeral 90,
but it is found in Gothic and may be found in some Greek forms as well.

Wulfilan Gothic lacks the useful letter ingwaz.

The Elder Futhark lacks the useful letters qairþra and hvair.

The symbols rarely correspond.