INTRO / question about elder futhark

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 27 08:04:26 UTC 2007

Hi Gerhard,

The (pagan) Goths actually did use the elder Futhark: the are some
short inscriptions left, for instance that on the necklace from the
gold treasure of Pietroasa, Romania (atributed to Athanaric, 4th
century).

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, gerhard sollinger <wothswulf at ...>
wrote:

> Hails
>
> I´m male, 56 & write from Spain. I´m not an academic but rather
interested in learning gothish for fun & practical reasons. At the
moment, I´m still an absolute beginner.
> Wolfgang Binnig in his book - Gotisches Elementarbuch  describes
Wulfilla´s bible-gothish as a quiet unique event, because it
represents for him, the first counsciently constructed monolithic
language in man´s history. Obviously the gothic letters represents a
fusion of mainly greek letters  with some runic symbols.
> He refers later on to some researchers in the field of Rune-
studies, who think, that the Rune-alphabet of the old futhark
respresented the older alphabet of the, by than still pagan Goths.