Attila's speech

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Sep 3 18:56:50 UTC 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 12:14 AM, ualarauans wrote:
> ante impetum "before [our] attack" = faura ufarruna. Actually when
> (re-)constructing *ufarruns M.-i (cf. Mod. Engl. "to overrun",
> Germ. "überrennen", albeit with a slightly different meaning) I
> didn't recall Greek EPIDROMH which fits perfectly in for translating
> Lat. impetus. It's not easy to think that the Goths were lacking
> such a word in their otherwise presumably very rich military lexicon
> so that they had to calque Greek. Still, as far as nothing better is
> in sight, this would do. Compare additionally Go. ufarmeleins
> (ufarmeli) for Gr. EPIGRAFH, ufarhiminakunds for EPOURANIOS and
> other examples where Go. ufar- = Gr. EP(I)-. Go. runs stands in the
> Bible for Gr. DROMOS "running" as well as RUSIS "flow".
I would mention faura *andaruna or faura *andruna, thinking of
andastaþjis and andstandjan, but I'm not sure whether the latter two
words are semantically related or just look that way.

Of course it's traditional to practice Gothic by translating the
bible, but it's not that uncommon to try other sources. I've tried
translating labor songs, and I'm wondering what sort of pseudo-
historical theory could be read into that...